[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Meningococcal B Vaccination in Complement Deficiency

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Fri Apr 14 20:13:12 EDT 2017

Dear All,

I follow two sisters with a C2 deficiency - ages 5 and 7 years.  I would like advice regarding:

1) In the USA, the meningococcal B vaccines are licensed for 10 years and above.  I would like to vaccinate them now and wanted to know if there is any consensus for vaccinating at this younger age?

2) We have two vaccine available in the US - Bexsero and Trumenba.  It seems like there is more worldwide experience using the Bexesero in younger children, but I wanted to know if one vaccine is preferred over the other for < 10 years old, or in patients with complement deficiencies?

3) The dose for each vaccine in >10 year olds is 0.5 mL.  Is a lower dose used for <10 year olds, especially the 5 year old sister?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Ron

Ronald M. Ferdman, MD, MEd
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
Division of Clinical Immunology and Allergy
Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics
Keck School of Medicine
University of Southern California

or legally privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of this original message.