[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Meningococcal B Vaccination in Complement Deficiency

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Fri Apr 14 21:12:27 EDT 2017

Hi, Dr. Ferdman:

My 2 cents from reading ... 'have no experience / expertise on this myself.

The AAP / CDC / ACIP / COID recs are actually rather stringent.  While both MenB vaccines are FDA-licensed for ages 10 - 25, the recommendations are limited to the at-risk groups (C' deficiencies, asplenia, outbreak, microbiologists at risk for exposure) within that age group, and maybe extended to all >= 10 y/o in some situations.  It *may* be given to adolescents / adults (16 - 23 y/o) for short-term protection, with preferred administration at ages 16 - 18 y/o.   Children <= 9 y/o are purposefully excluded, even with the risk factors.  Consequently, I think you may have trouble getting an insurance company to pay for this for the two girls.

(Personally, if I had a kid aged 7, and there's a MenB outbreak in her school, guidelines be damned, I'm giving it.)

The European guidelines are different.  Bexsero can be given all the way down to 2 mo/o:  http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Summary_for_the_public/human/002333/WC500137857.pdf

The are differences in number of doses and interval by age.  Volumes (0.5 ml) stay the same:  http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/human/002333/WC500137881.pdf

For Trumenba, they're sticking with the age 10-and-older limitation:  http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Summary_of_opinion_-_Initial_authorisation/human/004051/WC500224394.pdf

So, if I were to choose, it'll be with the Bexsero.

Good luck.

  - K

Karl O. A. Yu, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.A.P.
Section of Infectious Diseases  |  Department of Pediatrics  |  Comer Children's Hospital  |  University of Chicago
5841 S Maryland Ave,  MC 6054,  Chicago  IL  60637