[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] 14 month old with Hypogamma

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Mon Sep 25 10:10:20 EDT 2017

Hi, Pam:

I'm sure others would know, but some of the Boston Kids people are putting together a database for the very-early onset IBD kids (Boston, I think ... I can't remember the name right now).   They are worth bugging.  I am sure IL-10/IL-10R would be mentioned ...

Out of curiosity -- has the infant's weight improved when she was placed on TPN/Elecare?  The disaccharidase deficiency would suggest that this should help -- and if it does, the immunodeficiency may "just" be due to severe/persistent GI loses.  If not, then there is likely a bigger problem.  You mentioned the infant is breastfed.  Is this still occurring?  (Are her symptoms because of continued milk exposure from mom ... or, conversely, is severe hypogammaglobulinemia being masked because of breastmilk?)

Is there a TREC count or CD45RA/RO enumeration available?

I would not put too much stock on the C diff x 1.  I would still treat if the infant is symptomatic -- but a good fraction of young (healthy) infants are C diff-colonized.  I would not be sure how to interpret a clinical response or lack-of-response to 14 days' worth of metronidazole in an infant.  (And regardless, I would not give metronidazole long-term, because of the risk of neuropathy)

CMV is somewhat difficult to manage/interpret.  Most people in the pediatric ID world would agree that a congenital case should be treated if treatment could be started early (with the results from Alabama trials).  Post-natal acquisition ... this is a minefield.  In this case, since an immune problem is part of the D/Dx, if there is some evidence of lack of control (e.g., blood PCR in the 1000+s), I probably would start PO valganciclovir as a trial (I assume the pathologist did a proper screen for inclusion bodies, etc., for your "no evidence of CMV enteropathy").

I hope this helps.

    - Karl

Karl O. A. Yu, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.A.P.
Scientist II and Assistant Director, Center for Infectious Diseases and Immunology
RGH Research Institute | Rochester General Hospital | Rochester Regional Health
1425 Portland Ave., Room R-403, Rochester, NY   14621
Tel  585-922-3709  |  Fax  585-922-2415