[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] GATA 2 mutation and skin lesion

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Fri Nov 17 15:10:27 EST 2017

This could be a non-mycobacterial infection, or a pauci-bacillary one.

For the latter: Was only skin sampled for NTM? If not already done, blood cultures should be considered. "Regular" blood cultures may detect some of the rapid growing mycobacteria (i.e. fortuitum, abscessus/chelonae.... you would need to inform the micro lab of your concern, so that they do not dismiss a Gram-positive rod as a "coryne" or "diphtheroids", which the RGMs can look like). You may also want to consider, if not already done, a lysis-centrifugation-based method (e.g. Isolator, MycoFLytic, or whatever your lab uses for mycobacterial/mycological blood cultures). In addition to blood, essentially you may be looking for disseminated disease, so other involved sites may need to be sampled (e.g. lungs, bone marrow, urine).

I agree with making sure that you look for fungus (e.g. Histo, Cocci in your neck of the woods).

So, for histopath, you would need to make sure this was specifically looked for (e.g. GMS stain), and consider doing serological assessment (e.g. antigen or antigen/antibody panels for these fungi), while awaiting culture.

Don

Donald C. Vinh, MD, FRCP(C)
Director, Infectious Disease Susceptibility Program
Lilian Wilkins Associate Professor, FRQS Clinician-Scientist
Dept of Medicine (Division of Infectious Diseases; Division of Allergy & Clinical Immunology)
Dept of Medical Microbiology; Dept of Human Genetics

McGill University Health Centre - Research Institute
1001 Decarie Blvd; Block E; Rm EM3-3230 (Mail Drop: EM3-3211)
Montreal, Quebec,  Canada H4A 3J1
For PATIENT-related issues, including ALL inquiries about APPOINTMENTS & RE-SCHEDULING: Ph: 514-843-1611; Fax: 514-843-2092 (NB: Address referrals to my name):
For RESEARCH-only purposes: Ph: 514-934-1934 x42419 (office); x42811 (admin assist); Fax: 514-934-8425
If you wish to help us help others by making a tax-deductible donation to support our clinical program, we would be very appreciative. This can be done by phone (514-934-8230 ext: 43737; please specify RI-MUHC Foundation fund 2248 c/o Dr. Donald Vinh)
Le message que vous avez reçu, ainsi que toute pièce jointe, a été envoyé à l’intention exclusive de son ou de ses destinataires; il est de nature confidentielle et peut constituer une information privilégiée. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire prévu, soyez avisé que toute autre utilisation non autorisé, dénonciation, copie, distribution ou la prise d’une action sur la foi du contenu de ce message et de toute pièce jointe est strictement interdite. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez en aviser immédiatement l’expéditeur par retour de courriel et supprimer le message et toute pièce jointe de votre système.

This communication and any attachment are directed in confidence solely to the person(s) listed above; the materials in this communication are private and may constitute privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this communication and any attachment immediately from your system.