[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] 2-y-o girl with h/o heart transplant, very sick x 1 year

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Fri Apr 6 11:54:29 EDT 2018

We published the use of basiliximab in a young infant w heart transplant who developed severe, necrotizing GI enteropathy that was responsive only to high dose IV solumedrol 2-4 mg/kg/day.   Her ulcerating gut disease prevented us from using sirolimus. However, her gut healed on basiliximab given q 1-3 weeks (started weekly and then tapered to q 3wks) and we were able to eventually add sirolimus. We could never get her off the basiliximab without return of symptoms until we switched to infliximab (used basiliximab for 2 years or so). She is still not perfect on tacro/siro /infliximab but we are trying to maximize her infliximab without going back to the basiliximab. She has normal CD4 and CD8 counts now that she is off of basiliximab but <2% of CD4 are naïve, presumably related to thymectomy at 1mo w heart surgery.  It is a benign drug short term but we have no idea what the long term effects would be….
Puri K, Kocoshis S, Risma K, Perez L, Hart C, Chin C, Ryan TD, Jefferies JL, Schumacher KR, Castleberry C. Basiliximab treatment for autoimmune bowel disease in a pediatric heart transplant patient.<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26374667> Pediatr Transplant. 2015 PubMed PMID: 26374667.

Kim
Kimberly Risma MD PhD
Associate Professor Pediatrics
Allergy/Immunology
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Cener