[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Live Vaccines for AT babies diagnosed by SCID screen?

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Thu May 10 16:41:49 EDT 2018

In 1992 (PMID 1517916) we described one of last cases of paralytic polio in Canada, developing in an unimmunized 10 month old after exposure to his cousin who had recently received live poliio vaccine.  Ig levels and antibody response to the infecting vaccine strain were documented in our patient; no lymphocyte studies were done but his lymphocyte count was normal.  Three years later he returned with classic signs of AT, a low lymphocyte count and low T and B cells, but normal Ig levels and positive antibody responses to vaccines he'd received including DT and MMR, and normal mitogen-induced lymphoproliferative responses.  He was subsequently genetically confirmed to have AT and years later succumbed to lymphoproliferative disease.  So an area "where angels fear to treat.."    anne

Anne Junker, MD
Associate Professor, Pediatrics
BC Children's Hospital and University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada
ajunker at cw.bc.ca