[sbe-eas] DMO code

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Nov 4 16:43:19 EDT 2021

I like DMO for alert operator training purposes and diagnosing problems
with IPTV (cable) set-top boxes, because its normally an ignored code.
Less risk of training mistakes disrupting operations at other EAS
participants if a rogue DMO "escapes" during testing.

DMO should be ignored by everyone not participating in a particular
exercise.  The audio of a DMO may contain language you don't want on your
air.

Never automatically forward a DMO in your EAS decoder. Set DMO
to not configured (normally ignored) or timed-ignore if you are
participating in a particular exercise (require operator action).

RWT shows up in people's logs. They used to get upset if you sent
multiple RWTs a day because it used up their expensive thermal printer
paper. Because DMO is normally ignored, it didn't print on most station's
paper log.

NWS does its own RWTs. NWS doesn't pass through RWTs from others. If you
want NWS to originate (not passthrough) an RMT, you can coordinate with
the NWS warning meteorlogist. Several states include NWS as an
originator in their RMT schedule.  This is not part of NWEM.

And just a reminder, NOAA/NWS is not under the jurisdiction of the FCC.
While NOAA Weather Radio is compatible with EAS and IPAWS -- WRSAME and
NWS CAP are its own standard profiles.