[sbe-eas] Monthly EAS Test to Cell Phones at 11:07pm in SD & NE

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Dec 22 09:37:48 EST 2021

On Wed, 22 Dec 2021, Wood, Brian wrote:
> Does anyone know what happened last night in the South Dakota and Nebraska
> area with a monthly EAS test hitting all cell phones at 11:07pm? I’m in
> Southeast South Dakota but see lots of Twitter reports saying it also hit
> Nebraska, so maybe it just spilled over the border to us.

At 11:07 CST, the Nebraska State Patrol sent its routine monthly test
coded as a "BLUE ALERT".  Because it was coded as a "BLU", it went out
through all IPAWS channels including EAS, WEA and PUBLIC as an Imminent
Threat.

This activated all EAS participants an cell phones in Nebraska.

Have I mentioned how much alert origination software user interfaces suck..
But the operator on duty will likely get blamed instaed of bad user
interface design.