[sbe-eas] Glendale CA annoys Los Angeles with morning WEA (exercise)

Ed Czarnecki ed.czarnecki at digitalalertsystems.com
Mon May 16 09:47:47 EDT 2022

The flip side of the story may also be training.  In the LA Times, an official was quoted as stating that "So it wasn’t necessarily the system not working how it’s supposed to and it wasn’t operator error." "It was just the system having these parameters built within it that we were not aware of."

I believe Glendale CA has had the same mass notification vendor since 2009.  Undoubtedly there have been upgrades to that messaging system over the past 14 years, but I'm not sure what "parameters" they were referring to ... whether it was posting into IPAWS OPEN instead of the TDL (that has happened more than once or twice), or whether the software they were using had an "exercise" option that was not selected, etc. etc.

Bottom line, no matter how simple and "perfect" an interface is provided, there will be errors without system training.