[sbe-eas] Question -- are EAS alerts required to contain audio, or can they rely on stations' text-to-speech converters?

Harold Price hprice at sagealertingsystems.com
Thu Nov 17 18:23:03 EST 2022

There is no part 11 requirement for text to speech, however, all modern EAS
devices support english.  Some also support other languages. There is no
requirement that originators provide audio. though many do.

If a CAP alert contains text in the description or instruction elements,
but does not contain a suitable audio resource element, the text will be
rendered as text to speech if the user's device supports that language, and
if Text to Speech is enabled.

Do you have a time and date for a CAP message that resulted in no audio?  I
can check the archive and see if there is anything unusual about it.

Harold