[sbe-eas] Question -- are EAS alerts required to contain audio, or can they rely on stations' text-to-speech converters?

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Thu Nov 17 18:08:50 EST 2022

Hello everyone !

May I please ask a question --

Our New Mexico Department of Homeland Security tells me that their IPAWS
origination equipment won't accept a spoken message in the alert.

As a result, alerts go out from time to time with data, alert tone, and dead
air.

Are all EAS participants required to have text-to-speech converters?  Are
IPAWS originating points required to be able to, and to place verbal spoken
information in alerts?  Or is this an undefined "gray" area?

Many thanks for your guidance!

Mike/

Mike Langner, Chair
SECC-NM