[sbe-eas] Change to County-Equivalents in the State of Connecticut

Tim Schott - NWS Federal timothy.schott at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 1 12:01:36 EDT 2023

Sean and all,

The National Weather Service was proactive when we first heard about this
planned change via the proposal in the Federal Register.

The NWS (Weather Service Headquarters, NWS Eastern Region Headquarters, NWS
local forecast offices in Albany and New York City, NY and Boston, MA
serving the residents of Connecticut) participated in extensive meetings
with: the Connecticut Department of Homeland Security and Emergency
Management; county emergency managers; the Connecticut Broadcasters
Association, the Census Bureau, the FCC and the FEMA IPAWS office.

The decision was made for all alerting via EAS in Connecticut -- for
weather and non-weather emergency messages -- to continue using the current
county equivalents which are well known to the citizens of Connecticut.

 The National Weather Service will continue with the current alerting
paradigm for the current eight counties in Connecticut.

Thanks for bringing up this important topic.

Sincerely,
Tim Schott
NWS Lead for NOAA Weather Radio and the Emergency Alert System

Tim Schott
Meteorologist
AFS Dissemination Mission Support Team
301-427-9336
*The NOAA Weather Radio All Hazards (NWR) network consists of 1,034
stations reaching 95% of the nation's population, providing **weather
forecasts and warnings and non-weather emergency alerts.  *
*"I guess we all like to be recognized not for one piece of fireworks, but
for the ledger of our daily work."--Neil Armstrong*