[sbe-eas] Change to County-Equivalents in the State of Connecticut

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Aug 1 13:15:46 EDT 2023

That's good news.  However, the U.S. Geological Survey has removed/changed
the "National Map" data files to use the new Connecticut Planning Region
county-equivalents by default.

https://www.usgs.gov/programs/national-geospatial-program/national-map

This likely means all those consumer apps on people's mobile devices
(which pull map data from various sources, but mostly USGS map data) will
slowly change-over from county names to Connecticut planning regions names
over the next few years.

While will be possible to get map shapefiles for the old county names,
that's an extra step.  Other than the niche emergency community, general
consumer Apps will likely stop using the old county names.

On ther other hand, New York City uses a combination of county/borough
names. Geographic-aware Apps on your cell phone in New York City is fun
:-)  In NYC, the boroughs and counties are coterminus, so you end up in
the right place with either name.