[sbe-eas] English and Spanish WEA

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Oct 4 22:47:16 EDT 2023

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023, Rob Dale wrote:
> Also see https://twitter.com/LatinWx/status/1709638245871390894 :
>
> First Impressions:
> - ESP version had a typo, "esmantener"
> -  Translation of warning is inconsistent w/ FEMA
> - Titles for both alerts were in ESP
> - ESP version did not have addtl. details

The "esmantener" may be a radio transmission problem.  The WARN.PBS.ORG
site has the original CAP text for WEA as "es mantener".  WEA has no
transmission checksum, so bit errors happen in transmission.

The WEA Spanish language text was a GSM7 character torture test of accent
marks.  U.S. carriers transcode UTF-8 characters to GSM-7 characters in
various interesting ways.  While it looks wrong to native Spanish
speakers, U.S. Spanish speakers see mangled Spanish in the USA frequently.

Reading English signs in Japan also has "interesting" translations.  I'll
let native Spanish-speakers decide how badly mangled it was.