[sbe-eas] National Test

Aaron Read readaaron at friedbagels.com
Fri Oct 20 13:20:40 EDT 2023

In Rhode Island it *worked* but as a test of CAP it was a dismal failure.
The SP2 got it via CAP and immediately forwarded out on its airwaves, so
the bulk of the stations in the state got it via that "legacy" method so
quickly that it beat the 30 second polling window our EAS boxes use for the
IPAWS servers.  So we all aired the NPT via the SP2 instead of CAP.

There was also an issue with a state-specific two-way radio system...that
is functional but has lousy audio quality...set up between the two SP's and
RIEMA such that the SP2 pushed out the NPT over the two-way and it got into
the SP1's EAS box *ahead* of the CAP pathway.   So the SP1 took the NPT
from the SP2 and that's what they forwarded to the whole state.  Eek!
Fortunately, the SP1 has HD Radio and the SP2 does not, adding just enough
of a time delay (approx 9 seconds) so most likely everyone got the NPT
either from the SP2 or from CAP.  Not from the audio-challenged SP1.   The
SP2 has since added a push-to-talk relay to their input to the two-way, so
both the SP1 and SP2 can *receive* audio from the EMA, but they can't
transmit it unless a human pushes a button manually.  That'll prevent this
from happening again.

And the EAS update coming any day now should make it so every EAS box will
always wait to check CAP whenever it gets an alert/test via legacy
reception methods.   That'll ensure we always get CAP audio if there is CAP
audio to be had.

FWIW, I also noted that we at WNPN got the NPT via the SiriusXM free
"barker" channel, but it was late enough that it was a "duplicate".  We did
not get an NPT via NPR's Squawk channel but that was intentional; it didn't
get send over Squawk this time.

- Aaron