[sbe-eas] Question for the group about a station carrying a RMT for an in-DMA area but for an adjacent state

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Thu Nov 9 11:59:49 EST 2023

There is no requirement to re-transmit uncoordinated tests from state
IPAWS.  Only the SECC coordinated RMT.

For example, the Washington DC National Capital Region crosses over DC,
Maryland and Virginia.  WTOP transmits the official RMT for the NCR
operational area.  Maryland and Virginia also transmit IPAWS RMTs for
their respective states.

Most broadcasters and cable systems in the NCR (DC, Maryland and Virgina)
only re-transmit the RMT from WTOP.  A few also retransmit other tests,
but aren't required.  Again, the FCC rarely checks beyond you transmitted
something every month, unless they get a complaint.  There were a few
stations monitoring the "wrong" LP-1/LP-2, and retransmitted the wrong
RMTs.  NAL because of the wrong monitoring, not the RMT.

Its common in "small states" for EAS operational areas to cross state
borders.  And its also common for states to be "not in my neighborhood"
as far as coordinating with adjacent SECCs and states.