[sbe-eas] Question

Aaron Read readaaron at friedbagels.com
Thu Jan 11 12:40:11 EST 2024

By LP you mean "Local Primary", right?

I don't have time to dive into 47 CFR Part 11 at the moment, but absent any
specific rule in there, I would assume the State EAS Plan would dictate
which stations are allowed to originate RMT's and, by omission, everyone
else is not allowed.

https://kmgo.net/EAS/ia-state-eas-plan.pdf

If the above Iowa State EAS Plan is still current (it's from 1996) then it
would seem correct that your LP's should not be generating RMT's.  Only the
State Primary (WHO) should be doing that.

At a guess, since you said this LP has had problems relaying RMT's before,
they probably failed to relay one now and decided to "make up for it" by
generating their own.  Again, the State EAS Plan ought to address this, but
in general if an EAS test of any kind fails, the response is not to try and
"make up for it".  You just wait until the next test, because the point is
that you're testing (among other things) the daisy chain nature of the EAS
system.

Do you have a SECC for Iowa?  That would be the entity to make aware of
this, and then it's up to them to work with the LP in question to fix the
problems.   Do be careful here, though.  Complain too much about it and the
SECC might start asking YOU to be the LP instead!   :)

- Aaron

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 11:54 AM Mark Garrett via sbe-eas <sbe-eas at sbe.org>
wrote:

> I have never seen this before but I received an RMT from one of my LP's
> and upon questioning them as it was missing any agency information nor
> announcement, they said they generated it themselves.  I was under the
> impression that only state and federal agencies were the only ones to
> generate an RMT.
>
> Thoughts on how to note this and is this something that an LP is allowed
> to do?
> The station has had issues in the past of relaying RMT's.
>
> --
> Mark Garrett
> Tri States Public Radio
> WIUM Macomb, IL
> WIUW Warsaw, IL
> WVKC Galesburg, IL
> K292GR Burlington, IA

Aaron Read
readaaron at friedbagels.com
www.friedbagels.com
"Engineering: it's like math but LOUDER!"