[sbe-eas] NWS EAS Question

Dave Turnmire eassbelist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 12:09:50 EDT 2024

Our original DASDEC IIs worked fine. When we replaced them with the
DASDEC IIIs, the tuner performance has been a significant
disappointment.  Bare in mind, most of ours are in rural areas and may
be receiving from farther away than some of you.  And the software
indicated regarding proper signal levels used to be relatively
accurate... now it is largely worthless.  As for NOAA Weather... we were
initially able to receive them OK, but in recent months, even though it
"sounds OK" when monitoring the audio, it hasn't been able to
successfully decode alerts.  We still get them via our LPs (which use
SAGE and monitor same NWR transmitter), so it hasn't been at the top of
my Do List to figure out the problem.  I can't definitively say whether
the problem is with my DASDEC or some subtle problem that has developed
with the local NWR... all I know is that SAGE users seem to be able to
decode it OK.

And yes... I have a vertically polarized outside Yagi pointed at the NWR
transmitter.

Dave