[SBE] Running a Klystron until 2009

PuebloTallTower at aol.com PuebloTallTower at aol.com
Wed Mar 7 21:00:43 EST 2007

There was a time in my life when I maintained a couple of UHF klystron rigs...

how much are the tubes these days?

Do they still come in the roll around cart/chassis.

Do they still run on 25 - 30 kV?

Are they still associated with a high "incompetent engineer" death rate?

What was the voltage used in the electric chair? 2200 v @ 60 Hz?

You mentioned 80 k hrs on the tube possible. 24 hrs x 365 days = 8760 hrs
per year. 80,000/8760 = 9.13 years...

Oh well... I guess that is why I am still alive, I fortunately never had to
change one. just must have been lucky. I am remembering a lot of problems
with the transmitters and power system, (mostly related to dirt accumulated on
power system components and subsequent acrovers.) but never lost a klystron.

Which is why I am asking what they now cost... new and rebuilt, and what is
the factory warranty for each item.

Sure looks like after Feb 2009 there is going to be a lot of rigs declared
surplus and /or obsolete. Is there any plan to try and sell this vast amount of
equipment (now operating NTSC on the USA old NTSCband plan) to any other
entity that can possibly implement them?

just wondering...

Harvey E. Smith SBE member.
2020 Baculite Mesa Road
Pueblo, CO., 81001-2456