[SBE] transmitter customer service failures

Rolin Lintag rolin.lintag at vtntv.com
Tue Jul 10 00:21:09 EDT 2007

Henry,

Your situation may be more prevalent in most stations than we want to
believe. I'm afraid that station management nowadays think (or forced to
think because of business constraints) of back-up equipment not as an
investment or insurance but as a non-performing asset (or sleeping
inventory). This means that whatever large investment is spent, as in a
transmitter, it better be reliable in operation and maintainable should
problems occur. This is one reason, I have taken the pains of calling
users of different transmitter makes for the last two years now before
we decided to go Axcera this year. I vetted for the customer service and
acceptable reliability at a reasonable price. I am not selling the
equipment, nor do I have any vested interest in this - I am just sharing
the results of my studies. I won't be stingy with praising those that
deserve it. Axcera is one company that goes out of its way to help the
station stay on the air (and me to keep my job!).

Another observation that I hope the manufacturers of equipment should
take notice is that they should not only be after the sale of equipment.
Their dedication to customer service is their signature in the industry.
If they can not help the engineers keep the stations on the air, then
they are not in this business for the long run. Instead of spending
millions on marketing and advertising, they should beef up their service
departments or better yet, improve the reliability of their products.
They may be able to sweet talk the non-technical people to buy their
products but it is the engineers who will make them look good or bad in
the long run. Word of mouth marketing is still the best form of building
product image.

I am grateful to the many engineers I have talked to who have been
unselfish in sharing their experiences and straightforward enough to
call a spade a spade. The broadcast engineering community is a small
family so the manufacturing industry better treat us all right if they
want to stay in business.

This is why every engineer should treat our profession not just an
individual career but as a brotherhood as well.

Rolin Lintag, CSTE
Little Rock, AR

Message: 1