[SBE] transmitter customer service failures

Bruce Doerle bdoerle at mail.ucf.edu
Mon Jul 9 21:04:22 EDT 2007

Tom,

The 'low bid'. Why did we buy so many Marconi boxes - low bid, favor to Thatcher, American parts requirement met to name a few. Remember Continental was on the government blacklist for a while from some unethical business with the Navy. Thus no buys from the only American manufacturer who makes HIGH power (100kW & up) boxes. At that time who else made them: Thomson, ABB, Marconi, Siemens, and Telfunken. But then supoorting a buy from Thomson, Thomcast, Thales has always been a problem. The Thomson 300kW TX in Munich was a one of a kind and there was not support. Thomson disbanded the engineering staff from that project. Hence, trying to get support was a real trying effort if you could get them to return the calls. That is the way I recall it.

BTW, how is your retirement coming along?

Bruce

>>> "Thomas Wojciechowski" <tomtraveller at hotmail.com> 7/9/2007 8:35:30 PM >>>

I've had some experience w/ Thales HF HP transmitters. When we needed PC
boards, we had to turn in an order at least 6 mo. in advance to allow time
for production runs. What is really scary is that Thales as discontinued
the manufacture of some boards, but turned over production to independent
contractors. I might add the transmitters are not all that old. As an
American, I've always wondered why our government did not buy American.