[SBE] audio problem

Henry Seiden info at techworkspro.com
Wed Aug 22 11:00:22 EDT 2007

Maybe this issue is one of cumulative (over-)processing or an out-of-phase
condition not easily detectable by listening to (I'm guessing here as to the
program material, so help me out please) mixed voice tracks as Al suggests.
It could be something else that requires more detective work.

Either way some more info is needed. Perhaps a (dare I say it?) SBE
certified or other contract engineer could verify the following:
* Monitoring equipment available?
* Aircheck audio available?
* Wiring check?
* Physical bypass comparison?
* Happens at multiple stations?
* Settings on the device that compound one of the above problems?

On 8/22/07 09:51, "Albert Muick" <radioresearch_field_operations at yahoo.com>
typed:

> Hi Guys,

> Sounds like a kinda basic problem, so I am replying to the group and the

> gentleman as well.

> If it's OK in his studios, and the stations' studios, but sounds bad on the

> air, it seems to me that it's nothing specific to the make/model of his audio

> chain equipment. It sounds like a phasing issue (make sure his left/right

> outputs follow the inputs) or the fact that his processed audio is being

> re-processed by the stations' audio and modulation chain.

> If the left/right outputs from his device are reversed, it could conceivably

> cause this condition, however, he states that when the device is out of the

> chain, everything is normal. What he doesn't state is whether the device is

> internally bypassed or it is patched around. This could give us further clues

> in a phasing issue.

> As we all know, re-processing processed audio makes one's signal sound like

> the s*** sandwich of the airwaves. I think it could be the stations'

> compressor limiter (Orban/Omnia) that is re-processing this and causing the

> troubles.

> Any other ideas?

> Best regards,

> Al Muick, CBRE

> John Poray <jporay at sbe.org> wrote:

> Can anyone on the SBE Roundtable offer an opinion to the audio problem

> described in the message below? The person asking the question is not a

> member of SBE and therefore not subscribed to the Roundtable so please reply

> off-line to him. admaker at ntelos.net

> Thanks,

> John Poray

> John L. Poray, CAE

> Executive Director

> Society of Broadcast Engineers, Inc.

> 9102 N. Meridian Street, Suite 150

> Indianapolis, IN 46260 USA

> Phone: (317) 846-9000 Fax:(317) 846-9120

> jporay at sbe.org

More about our charges.
1. Techworks Pro is one of only a few that does on site service.
2. Techworks Pro is also one of only a few service, sales, and installation
companies you¹ll find you can rely on.

What can we do for you?
* We service an ever increasing variety of broadcast and professional
products, that you likely will have at your facilities, even if you didn¹t
buy it from us. Did you know for example, that we also sell & service
computer storage products like Fiberchannel connected servers?
* We stock parts for the equipment we service, when possible. Nearly 800
items. We stock wire, cable and connectors for our own projects.
* We provide you a detailed repair record on each repair. We maintain a
complete database for that purpose. Sample enclosed
* We give estimates of repair charges that completely reflect the work being
done for approval within 24 hours of receipt of equipment whenever possible.
There is an evaluation charge for repairs that are refused.
* We accept charge cards.
* We¹re insured. Workmens comp., and liability. Details on request.
* We service what we sell. Whether it be a manufacturer¹s warranty issue or
a an out-of-warranty failure- if you bought it from Techworks Pro, we can
fix it for you!
* We communicate with our clients via email and answer questions in an
upfront manner.
* We deliver at low cost to the entire three county area- North Palm Beach
to South Dade.
* We refer our customers to others, kind of a cross promotion, and we hope
you do the same for us!
* We install new products and integrate seamlessly into components you may
already have.
* We Rack Your Video World!

Our Mission Statement. I am committed by this mission statement to make sure
that every Techworks Pro customer gets meaningful, thorough and complete
answers about the services we provide, the real cost, and full repairs to
your equipment.

While sometimes you might not like the answer, at least it will be a
complete and honest one based on fact. We want you to know!

Henry Seiden
President
Techworks Professional System, Inc.