[SBE] audio problem

Phil Alexander dynotherm at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 22 16:49:42 EDT 2007

There are several possibilities. However, if the sound is good at the
studio it would be good to look at the audio chain beginning there.

1. What additional (if any) audio processing is used following
the console before the STL (if any).

2. If used, what is the STL audio transport means? Are codecs
involved?

3. What is the limiting processor immediately before the Tx?

If would also be interesting to check the audio phasing off-air
versus phasing at the console output. This is easily done using
a scope with X-Y inputs and observing the output of the console
and the output of the modulation monitor. The cause of deviation
from a straight diagonal line should be investigated.

If I had to guess, I'd be looking at phase reversal first, primary
(over)processing at the Tx on a multi-band processor second, codec
artifacts third and phase non-linearity fourth.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065 FAX (317) 335-9037