[SBE] FAA Flight Service Stations

Barry Thomas barryt at barryt.org
Fri Oct 19 17:23:25 EDT 2007

That's what makes the AOPA link I mentioned great. It has a link to the 5/18/07 site consolidation schedule which will give you some idea of the roll-out. There are other links that will tell you everything you want to know about the FS21 system.

Unfortunately the things you refer to are "would be great" or "they should make it easier," "customer-service" concepts. Since the whole idea behind this project is to outsource the task to a contractor and save 2.2 billion in FAA operation costs I wouldn't expect anything beyond the minimum effort by the FAA. Remember that we're not Lockheed-Martin's customer. The FAA is.

Brian Urban <burban at kut.org> wrote:
I've seen some of the articles listed, however, when I called in our beacon
outage in July, I called San Angelo FSS at the old number, and they
answered. This was a month after they supposedly were closed per the FAA
documents.

Did any of the articles list which FSS were closing and when? Not that I
recall; the Workbench column stated that there may be a new number for some
areas. So how are we supposed to know if/when our area will be affected?
Hindsight being 20/20, it sure would have been nice to have some notice as
each region was converted with effective dates listed. Even a recorded
message on the old number would help.

On 10/19/07 11:58 AM, "Barry Thomas" wrote:

> Sure! but that won't be out for a little while. The word needs to get out as

> soon as possible.

> Not sure about the press it's gotten in TV but the radio trades have been

> all over this as have at least a couple of the radio list servers that I

> subscribe to. Here are some articles I know about. Spread the word!

> From the June 6, 2007, Radio magazine

> http://radiomagonline.com/news/reporting-tower-light-outage-faa/index.html

> The most recent story I know about is on the front page of Radio World

> newspaper (10/10/2007) and is here:

> http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0052/t.9021.html and

> also in John Bisset's Workbench column at

> http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0056/t.9029.html

> And also in the September 2007 edition of Radio Guide (pg 32)

> http://www.radio-guide.com/issues/RG-SEP-2007.pdf

> Some of the issues related to the system have been posted on the Bob Gonset

> newsletter. This one from 9/19/2007:

> http://www.bext.com/_CGC/2007/cgc809.htm

> Here's something from the Georgia Association of broadcasters site:

> http://www.gab.org/component/option,com_docman/Itemid,106/task,doc_view/gid,42

> 5/

> There is some good info at the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association site:

> http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/air_traffic/a76_process

> And finally; From a LM Press Release:

> http://www.spacemart.com/reports/Lockheed_Martin_And_FAA_Reach_Significant_Mil

> estone_In_Transformation_Of_Flight_Services_999.html

> A9xw at cs.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/19/2007 10:12:39 AM Central Daylight Time,

> rcbenedict at cbs.com writes:

>> It would be nice if the FCC would put out a notice.

> Obviously this should be in the next Signal

> Henry

> Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT

> Atlanta, GA

> barryt at broadcast.net