[SBE] Video DA Help

Glenn Little WB4UIV glennmaillist at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 27 22:51:38 EST 2007

Not a trick question.

Prior to me, when an STM-85N card failed, the sync for that equipment was
picked from something close via a loop through.

We now have marginal sync in Master Control. I have bought another eight
Video DAs and a frame (EBay is good). I have ordered 1000 feet of cable.
When the cable arrives, All the equipment in Master Control will have a
sync line run directly to a DA port.

I guess the STM-85N cards are a hold over from earlier equipment. They
appear to be a mini frame sync.

When I asked this question of GVG, they would not answer directly. They
acknowledged that loop through equipment was fine, with the end of line
terminated. But they could not tell me what the maximum recommended
equipments was.

To be safe, I have invested in the DAs and cable. Now to find the time to
run the cable and document the cable runs!

At least we do have a set of drawings. They have been partially updated
with additions and deletions. Another project that I do not have time for,
verifying the drawings!

We have 16 STN-85N cards that only the CB outputs are being used from. I
hope to get all of these out of the rack and replace them with 8500 series
DA cards. We have had two of these fail recently and I find others that
have problems. Most of the ones with problems have the far end of the cable
disconnected from the equipment and the cable terminated.

The fun of working in an older plant.

Thanks
73
Glenn