[SBE] conversation topic: how often do you check tower ground wires?

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Wed Feb 13 13:32:19 EST 2008

On Wednesday 13 February 2008 12:51 pm, A9xw at cs.com wrote:

> Those buried radials won't last forever. Copper, turning green, then dust.

TRUE, but they will last nearly forever in some areas.

> So

> what is the thinking on how often to dig one up and check the condition, or

> measure the ground resistance?

When you think of it, or when local experience dictates it's a good idea
( such as the marshes along the coasts ) or once every couple years.
For me, every time I visit a site. Being an independent full time project
field engineer, and not a station maintenance engineer, my perspective
is slightly different, and so is my motivation. ( since I do ground systems
in addition to everything else, as a routine part of vacant field to final
sign-off turn-key )

> How about those that are not AM towers (ground

> effectiveness can be gauged by field strength on radials), but your typical

> 1000', 2000'

These are typically grounded for lightning only, and use heavy cable which
will last a l-o-n-g time.
Still every couple years isn't a bad idea.
Field readings to determine the effectiveness of an existing radial field are
only effective near-field, and if you have the original walk-in data for reference.
Far field readings may suggest, but should never be taken as definitive.

> tower lightning protection ground system? Didn't use copper because someone

> steals it? Ground rods vs radials?

Radials are always RF, *never* lightning !

Many ( most ? ) of you I realize are not familiar with repetitive pulse
power handling at gigawatt levels, but that's exactly what lightning is !
Megavolts and kiloamps. Literally, the Power of God !
( if you don't respect it as such, then He can explain it in person ! )
About all we can do, is "suggest" a preferred path, and do it as correctly
and in as straight a line as possible.
While radials can dissipate *some* of the energy in the precursor, ( much
like the theory behind the stati-cat products ) they are effectively absent
during a strike of any magnitude.
Very much like ground rods do almost nothing at all for RF at any
usable frequency, RF and lightning grounds are confused at your own peril.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Does someone from PEORIA have a SHORTER ATTENTION span than me?