[SBE] conversation topic: how often do you check tower ground wires?

Glenn Little WB4UIV glennmaillist at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 14 00:12:27 EST 2008

I did lightning damage assessment at a previous job. We used a ground
resistance meter to check the effectiveness of the ground system.
Motorola wanted 5 Ohms or less. I never saw 5 Ohms. About the lowest
I saw was 10 Ohms. You probably need something to reference the
reading to to determine if you have deterioration.

Do not forget the sacrificial cathodic elements that were installed
at the guy points to reduce the electrolysis. The ground rods at the
guy points are galvanized?

MIL-HDBK-419 is a very good reference. Can be found by Google at many sites.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV
Assistant Chief Engineer