[SBE] conversation topic: how often do you check tower ground wires?

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Wed Feb 13 16:10:37 EST 2008

Good answer. I did an AM array for a DA 2 as part of an ownership change.
The previous owner had removed the daytime tower ground radials (#2 &#3) and put
them on the night time towers (#3, &#4). Tower 1 was common to both
patterns. The RF field strength was a fraction of the value expected when a radial
check was made. Basically the RF was going into space and little on the ground.

Although the original question was how often do you check it, you made some
good points about ground rods and radials. I have seen some AM stations where
the radials were just staked on top of the rocks no soil present, and others
where barb wire or other non copper wire was used. I am sure we have all seen
the NAB Engineering Handbook for strap where radials meet, and ground strap for
RF, as well as ground strap for lightning. Our 1,008' tower has 8 ground
cables (single 0) plus ground strap on all coax at the tower base and at the
building entrance. The EM build up on the 110' between the two can put several
thousand volts between tower and building. We also have ground rods at the
service entrance with strap from the hardware inside. Even with this we can get
pulses on cables inside the room enough to disturb the remote control system.
Without the coax straps at the building you could see lots of St Elmo's fire
dance around the room. The guys all have ground rods as well.

One problem with ground rods is you can have a build up around each rod that
acts as an insulator from repeated strikes. Some articles suggest an acid
earth treatment to improve the ground rods contact. I've also seen glass trails
from ground rods in sandy conditions.

The question remains, how often do you check the ground system (radials or
rods)?

Henry