[SBE] conversation topic: how often do you check tower ground

Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT barryt at sbe.org
Thu Feb 14 14:22:30 EST 2008

The two systems would have different characteristics and purposes and therefore different inspection schedules and procedures.

For electrical and lightning grounds, they should be inspected after every known electrical event. I used to physically check during weekly transmitter inspections. I've usually not done a more indepth analysis unless there is an increase in storm or electrical damage.

For antenna radials. The system performance usually degrades which will initiate inspection but I typically do a full inspection every 2-3 years if the antenna system is stable.