[SBE] Theft of copper radials

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Tue Feb 19 09:10:34 EST 2008

On Tuesday 19 February 2008 08:12 am, strask at star94.com wrote:

> We are going to experiment with some concrete and a golf hole digger,

> the one they use to cut new holes on a green, under random radials and

> fill the hole with cement. We are hoping it may slow them down as they

> would have to pop these out of the ground to get the radials.

The problem isn't the copper, really.
The problem is the replacement and repair costs, combined with the
disruption to the broadcast business.

We can talk about using steel, and other worth-less materials, but the
thieves work cheap, and at great risk to life and liberty. "Value" has
an entirely different meaning to them, than to us.

There are ways to make it less attractive, but we need to make it completely
unattractive in order to stop this.
About the ONLY way to do that, is to make it SO difficult to remove that the
thieves decide it's more cost effective to spend their time elsewhere.
Personally, I favor shoot-to-kill armed guards, and junk yard dogs, but
protecting your property is illegal in many parts of this country, so some
other way is needed.
Painting and tarring will make it less attractive to the scrapper, but the thief
won't know that until after the damage is done. Meantime, the thief won't
care.

The cement plugs are a good start, and in the direction I'm thinking.
I'm thinking as one of those guys who plows in radials, lays and bonds
straps and screens, tunes ATU's and such.
If we encase the copper not in something that simply marks it, as the
thieves won't care, but something that makes it extremely difficult to
remove.
Paving the entire radial field is one thought, but not really practical.
Dry-sacking the entire radial with an inch or so of concrete should both
make the copper exceedingly difficult to remove, and not worth much
if they still do, and not be all THAT difficult to do as they are plowed in.
Take longer, yes. Much more work initially, yes. Cost more initially, yes.
Low maintenance one-time solution, perhaps. Maybe.

As long as our society produces the kinds of crack-heads who will
kill you for thirteen dollars, we need to stop thinking like a practical
engineer, and think like a wacked out worthless scum of the earth
piece of $41T, and consider what THEY value. Money has time value
even to them. Make it cost time and effort. Nothing else will really work.
We've even heard of these freaks getting killed while stealing wire
form hot power distribution substations. Clearly, harm and their own life
is worth less to them than the $31 worth of scrap the might get if
they don't die.

They have nothing but time, and nothing to live for.
Start thinking about what will stop them.
I'm betting paint won't do it, and for the same reasons that gun control
laws merely disarm the victims protecting nobody. Laws and rules
merely keep honest people honest. Honest law abiding citizens
are not our problem. Laws, signs, and rules will not help.
I like Clay's Jacobs ladder idea, but the substations suggest that won't
really work either.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Do not wear a T-shirt that says "I'm with stupid" when you are by yourself.
If you do, then I guess that's right !