[SBE] Ready to turn analog back on?

McGlothen, Darryl darryl.mcg at klewtv.com
Tue Mar 11 18:52:50 EDT 2008

One of my pet peeves is a television commercial that states "antenna
tv's will cease to function on Feb. 17th, 2009." The majority of
television sets have antenna inputs whether they are 'digital' or
'analog' and they will continue to operate as they were designed. Only
those analog sets that do not have a digital converter box (STB) will be
unable to pass OTA signals broadcast only in digital. This will not
impact LPTV broadcasters in spite of the hype and scare tactics
promulgated by cable broadcasters and ill-informed but well intentioned
TV broadcasters. Analog TV sets will continue to receive and display
analog LPTV signals without problem...analog TV sets with digital tuners
or STB's will continue to display OTA signals until they die of old age.

There is no need to 'modify STB's' to accept analog RF inputs when a
simple antenna switch will allow both LPTV analog and converted digital
STB's to be routed to the antenna input of any analog TV set. There is
no functionality, however, to upconvert LPTV analog signals to digital
receivers and therein lies the only potential loss to LPTV broadcasters.
Proper (and accurate) education of broadcasters, re-broadcasters and
viewers will eliminate the dirth of confusion spawned by unscrupulous
cable advertisers.

Darryl