[SBE] Discussion topics

Jeff Carter sbe at hidden-valley.com
Thu Mar 13 18:21:43 EDT 2008

As one of the aforementioned wallflowers, I was sort of glad to
discover that there were other people in SBE other than the frequency
coordinators, Barry, and John Poray. I think that in roughly ten
years of being aware of SBE and becoming a member and paying for the
certification for the first time just last year, these were the only
people I had actually met. I talked to Andy Funk via phone when he
was here in Atlanta, but never actually met him.

Because we're so spread out geographically, I can't think of any other
way that we could have a sense of each other's existence except via
this remailer. I pay dues to several organizations other than SBE
where there's no interaction except maybe a newsletter which talks
about other folks I never met. For political reasons of one sort of
another I've joined several organizations, but there's no sense of
belonging. With SBE, the remailer mitigates that somewhat.

This "useless chatter" could very well be the only value that SBE ever
is to me, quite frankly. I re-upped back in February when I was
paying other things, but I couldn't tell you why. I guess in my mind
SBE exists to support this remailer and to do frequency coordination.

If the ability to socialize in this manner were taken away at some
point, then I don't know that I'd bother to renew my membership to
SBE. This would not represent a loss to SBE, really: Like many
"wallflowers", SBE was scarcely aware that I was ever here. There was
no reason for it to be otherwise.

I'd venture to say that considering the psychology of the average
engineer and considering the average engineer's workload, my position
is a majority position. I'd further venture to say that many members
are reading this thing, getting a chuckle, but not always writing
back. For the folks who are constantly pressed for time, this may be
all they have of SBE.

Just my opinion,

Jeff
Atlanta