[SBE] Blaw-Knox towers comment to Cowboy et al ...How tall is your AM tower

PuebloTallTower at aol.com PuebloTallTower at aol.com
Thu Mar 13 23:19:34 EDT 2008

I have a 990' Blaw Knox in my back yard, 10' face, guyed, and only three
levels of guy's. 300', 600' and 900', with the last 80' un guyed for the bury
mount channel 5 cavity backed antenna.

It also has a channel 8 antenna on it, (side face mounted, cavity backed) and
it began life owned by Sarkes Tarzian, the channel 5 station in Indianapolis
Indiana, and was shipped here in 1954. Along with the companion RCA TT-25 25
kW aural and visual boxes, using the grounded grid RCA 5762 tubes. Later the
100 kW aural was shut down, and the TT-11 driver was used for the aural output.

I am told it was one of 20 or more Blaw Knoxes (of this height) made, and is
the only one still standing.
A reputable tower repair agency told me at the NAB that all the others either
fell down or were taken down, due to the lack of guy lines every 100' of
height, as now seems the norm.

Apparently they do not show up well in computer analysis to meet the new RS
222 eia tia rev level (G) spec.

Oh, last but not least.... Our local channel 5 station has begun HD
broadcasting on uhf 42, at over a mega watt, on Cheyenne Mtn. (5,000 ft above the
plains) Colorado Springs ... the chief engineer tells me that at Lamar (3,000 ft)
100 miles distant rabbit ears work fine. Line of sight all the way
apparently...

see you at the NAB

Harvey E. Smith
2020 Baculite Mesa Road