[SBE] Industry retirement situation

Larry Will lhwill at verizon.net
Sat Mar 15 11:03:02 EDT 2008

Me too - again

I was fortunate enough in my first TV job while a student at Drexel
University to be directly involved in the color conversion of the CBS
station I worked at in my co-op job - WLYH-TV CH 15 CBS at that time.
I remember a lot of reception problems with early color sets as well.

The corporate mamagement actually embraced color as a way to increase
revenues and our local GM got corporate to fund the conversion of the
TX to color (No easy task on an RCA TTU-10) and we installed a film
chain and ONE studio color camera. This was about 1963 and studio
VTR's were not in our picture except for an Ampex 660 2" Helical
which we used on local sports remotes. (using the RCA 7 GHz "ash can"
klystron MW sometimes with double hops).

With CBS only running 1-2 shows in color a year this was a giant leap
and the chief (Ross Kauffman) and I made this all work with equipment
that was never designed for color learning all the way.

Lesson here I learned quickly that technology needs to be able to be
shown to the GM that it will result in an improvement to the bottom
line. Corporate would fund technology if that could be shown.

I never forgot that simple fact and it has served me well over the years.

So with profits that used to be a dizzying 60+ % net then and lucky
if 5% now we engineers must understand the reality of it all.

Broadcast Engineering is a service arm to the organization not the
center of attraction - always has been.

Regards,

Larry Will