[SBE] Industry retirement situation

k7cr k7cr at blarg.net
Sat Mar 15 00:00:41 EDT 2008

Let me jump into this....again -

One thing has not changed - The laws of supply and demand and its impact on
the rate of pay.

Some things have changed - Just about everything in Broadcasting.

Another thing that has not changed - Those that are able to adapt to change
end up better off than those that do not.

Another thing that has changed - The influx of people working in our
business that are involved, almost exclusively, with computers.

What needs to change - The understanding that these folks are Broadcast
Engineers also. We need to embrace them, take them to chapter meetings and
encourage them to join SBE etc. (Just because we no longer spend hours
testing tubes or lubing MG-Sets does not make us less of an Engineer)

Another thing that has changed - The number of folks between you and the GM.
This means that you are more likely to be called upon to interface with the
higher-ups. How are your skills in that area?

Some things to ponder - I sincerely hope you will take the time to attend
the session Chriss is moderating...It could be VERY worthwhile.

Clay Freinwald