[SBE] Industry retirement situation

Barry Mishkind barry at oldradio.com
Sat Mar 15 14:07:18 EDT 2008

Larry,

this is a real problem - something we have kicked around several
times on the BROADCAST [BC] list.

For many of the reasons you cite, including the press for Internet
advertising, ad agencies have already said that the money pool
available for radio is going to be flat, or slightly lower - at least
on a national level.

That makes getting enough budget for technical matters difficult,
much less adding signals, digital channels, etc. Wortse, after
having made major investments already in IBOC, far too many companies
- even those not crippled by the cash flow and current stock price
issues - have decided to burn the furniture, rather than invest in
more gear/people.

The really sad part is that while we can see these issues, the tech
folks have relatively little leverage to do much. Sort of like a
train engineer, we can only drive on the tracks we are given. Until
the content problem is solved - a way to involve young people in the
air product - we will see more erosion in listeners/sales. The
challenge for engineers to avoid being red-lined.

barry

At 10:45 AM 3/15/2008, Larry Will, wrote