[SBE] New tools and skills (was: Industry retirement situation)

chscherer at everestkc.net chscherer at everestkc.net
Sat Mar 15 15:22:12 EDT 2008

If you narrowly focus on broadcast in the classic sense - a terrestrial transmitter - then yes, the audience and ad pool are declining. Broadcasters who view themselves as media outlets and embrace the other forms of media - IPTV, podcasts, streaming, Wimax, etc. - have a better chance of remaining successful. Younger audiences embrace these technologies. Unless you are close to retirement, you should too.

Terry Baun, Barry Thomas and I have referred to the modern broadcast engineer as a media engineer. That title includes the new technologies that are part of the modern media landscape.

Yes, we are driving on the rails we are given, but communication with the top is still key. Be an active participant in planning the budget. Help management understand the ramifications of the choices being made. Man the engines as you're told, but also provide advice for the future. Be a part of the 1-year, 5-year, 10-year (if there is one) and longer plans. Doing so makes the engineer a part of planning the solution.

Also, I know that every situation is different. Some managers are honest and open. Some are simply concerned with making their numbers and getting their bonus at the expense of sacrificing others. There isn't a single, easy approach. That's where interpersonal skills come in to play.