[SBE] Industry retirement situation

John Freberg john at freberg.com
Sat Mar 15 21:12:56 EDT 2008

It' s refreshing to see the response to this thread.

While the points made by the various postings resonate with the
engineer me, there are a few structural factors affecting this
industry that have not been mentioned that cause me to be skeptical
about future employment trends.

As a 'product', conventional broadcasting is a mature product, well
into the harvest phase of its life cycle. Corporate management knows
this and runs the stations accordingly. During the harvest phase,
significant new capital investment is rare, and made only to extend
the life of the existing cash flows. DTV investment has been an
anomaly, because it is government mandated. The sluggish uptake of HD
Radio is evidence of management's reluctance to invest capital with
little prospect of improved cash flow.

The cash flows that do currently exist are being challenged
('disrupted' to use the trendy term) by competitors from other fields.
A wise person once said' "Half of every advertising dollar I spend is
wasted. The trouble is I don't know which half." Arbitron and People
Meters aside, many of the competitors to conventional broadcasting
offer much more concrete evidence about their audience and resulting
effectiveness of their advertising. This is seriously affecting the
price of spots.

Broadcasting lost the technology quality race about 10 years ago, but
few noticed. 'Broadcast Quality' used to be the gold standard. With
1080P home theaters, 5/6/7/8.1 surround sound, Blu-ray discs available
at increasingly affordable prices, our offerings have become second
tier. This is not to say that there will not be demand for good SD and
HD material, but to try to position the success of the industry around
ultimate technical quality is pointless. The bright side of this is
that viewer expectations for technical quality have been been raised,
and management will be forced by the marketplace to upgrade the
technical plant if it wants to compete.

Conventional broadcasting does not come close to meeting the range of
uses for media that are present in the audience. VOD, DVR's, YouTube,
MediaFLO, DVB-H and dozens of other emerging technologies are just
beginning to tap the latent demand for long-tail media products.
(Read Chris Anderson's book "The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business
is Selling Less of More" (ISBN 1-4013-0237-8). Many in our fraternity
who poo-poo cellphone video, low-frame rate internet video and other
technologies miss the point. Demand for our conventional services is
very nearly satisfied. Growth is occurring in other uses and
applications. There is little new development activity going on in
conventional broadcasting technology. R&D money, and consequently the
new engineers, are going into the digital, networked, new media world
by a factor that I would guess is easily a 10:1.

Finally (for this rant), government policies have aggravated the
situation. Heavy consolidation of the industry has concentrated
ownership of broadcasting in the hands of a relatively small number of
people who have very similar views and backgrounds. Visionary and
forward-thinking are terms that don't come to mind when I think about
them. Really good people with innovative ideas are regularly driven
out of this industry. Sometimes passively, and sometimes
intentionally. Perhaps some restoring some diversity in ownership
would allow some maverick idea to take hold in this industry that
could change the game. Perhaps we should be more politically involved
as an engineering community.

My advice to the engineering community is to prepare yourself to work
in another field. Even if you are 'only' 5 years from retirement, you
may find yourself facing a career change tomorrow. SBE should be
developing programs for its membership with this in mind.

John Freberg