[SBE] defining broadcast engineer

chscherer at everestkc.net chscherer at everestkc.net
Sun Mar 16 23:53:04 EDT 2008

From: John Freberg <john at freberg.com>

> The industry is run by people who came out of the Sales Department

> and never understood engineering in the first place. With respect to

> technology, they relate to buzzwords like Microsoft, iPod, Tivo,

> YouTube, streaming, podcast etc. But they don't associate those

> terms with broadcast engineers.

CS: But do they associate these other media with what they (sales) do (broadcasting)? If they don't, the problem is an industry problem, not just an engineering perception problem.

> Rightly or wrongly, we have been defined (described below) by

> others in our industry over a long period of time. Turning this situation

> around requires that we talk to people outside our discipline

> rather than amongst ourselves. We have to persuade them as to our value

> to the enterprise in terms they understand.

CS: Again, talk to the managers and be a part of the team.

The SBE is working through state broadcast associations to reinforce the identity of the SBE and its services. When I was president I spoke to all the state broadcast association leaders at an NAB Radio show to reintroduce the SBE. We will continue to do this going forward.

> Just a pipe dream, but what if a station manager could call SBE

> and get a referral for a competent engineer to handle a specific task?

> Do you think they would begin to look at SBE and its members as a

> resource?

CS: He already can get leads on engineering talent. The SBE has a list of contract engineers. The SBE also has a resume service. The GM can also call the local chapter chairman and inquire about available people.