[SBE] defining broadcast engineer

Chuck Bullett chuckbullett at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 23:53:14 EDT 2008

Toward the end, it is my opinion that the definition of broadcasting
now transcends over-the-air distribution. With the installation of a
100mB fiber into my radio plant in the next few weeks, we preparing to
ramp-up up video content production which will support our radio brand
on the internet.

Having exclusive, branded content, is what makes our particular
operation successful in my market. If over-the-air distribution
channels are not reaching our targeted demographics efficiently during
certain day parts, and our data points to podcasts and web-based
streaming as getting the job done as a "vehicle" to drive listeners
back to their radios so that we can re-claim them as listeners during
their commute hours, then it is my obligation as the director of
engineering to insure that all of the technology pieces fit together
to accomplish that mission.

Our business continues to redefine itself with every new media
platform and mobile device that is introduced. The challenge is to
keep up with the technology--- I don't understand the push-back on
what defines a broadcast engineer in this thread.

I conjecture that our business has always defined what our profession
is by what the staff needs to do their job, day-by-day, or,
hour-by-hour, in some cases.

The fact that a good many number of us are the definitive "go to" guru
with-in our organizations could ultimately lead the aspiring chief
engineer with any ambition at all to quickly rise to the position of
CTO within a corporation if that's what they want.

Good old respect is earned through a healthy attitude and good work
ethic- learn to floss, tuck in your shirt, greet the sales managers
warmly in the morning. I, for one, appreciate this great business.

My Two Cents-

Chuck Bullett- CSRE
Dir. of Engineering KNBR-KFOG-KSAN
San Francisco
chuckbullett at gmail.com

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM, <chscherer at everestkc.net> wrote:

> I realize that there is cable distribution. I also expect that the types and number of alternate forms of delivery will increase, making the facility more a content creator and less a content distributor.

> The question was to show that other forms of media are involved beyond the traditional broadcast definition. These other outlets are part of the media mix.

> Chriss

Charles Bullett; CSRE -
San Francisco, CA 94105
Office Tel: 415-995-7009