[SBE] Can Your Manager Tell Ysbeou What You Do For A living?

Sam Garfield Sgarfield at dilicast.com
Mon Mar 17 12:07:53 EDT 2008

I have ofter told my fellow Engineers, that the test of a good General
Manager is to ask him for directions to the transmitter site.

As often said, being in the communications business, we don't communicate.

The Station Engineer has enough on his mind, let alone doing Public
Relations with his Boss and Peers.

May I suggest that SBE National assist us in promoting our profession to
Ownership & General Managers. If your read the SBE By-Laws, it certainly
gives you that impression that the SBE National has that charge.
*
BY-LAWS of the Society of Broadcast Engineers, Inc. (as amended October
2004)
ARTICLE I. NAME AND PURPOSES - *(as amended October 2004)*
Section 2. Purposes. The purposes for which the corporation is organized
are as follows:*
(a) The diffusion and increase of knowledge about broadcast
engineering, and the promotion and advancement of this profession and
its companion fields for both theoretical and practical applications
necessary to advance the art.
(b) The establishment of professional education, training and
competence for persons engaged in the profession of broadcast
engineering and its allied fields; and to afford professional
recognition to its practitioners signifying the achievement of these
standards.
(c) The stimulation of interest in broadcast engineering and its
allied fields to sustain the profession, encouragement of the interplay
and intercourse of ideas to advance the art, and the promotion and
maintenance of the highest professional standards among its members to
allow them to conduct their professional actions in the scale of
exemplary ethical standards.
(d) *The creation of working alliances and meeting of minds with all
elements of the broadcast and communications industry*, including the
FCC and the ultimate recipient of that which we practice, the viewers
and listeners.

Perhaps a mailing to the Ownership, General Managers that provide
insight into who we are and what we do for a living may be the first
step in getting the point across that we are an asset, not a liability.

Sam