[SBE] defining broadcast engineering education

Mark Fehlig mfehlig at gpb.org
Mon Mar 17 20:49:59 EDT 2008

Hi Jeff,

You'll find most BSEE's at the network and group levels as well as at the manufactures, particularly the larger ones.
Can you guess why?

Newer State Licenced PE's require a degree from an accredited engineering school in all disciplines, EE just being one.

Your local SBE Chapter Chair & Vice- Chair are BSEE's!
Neal Mazur, P.E. to be included as well

Mark Fehlig
Altanta

>>> "Jeff Carter" <sbe at hidden-valley.com> 3/17/2008 8:15 PM >>>

The subject line "Defining Broadcast Engineer" has made me wonder
about the details. Education level comes to mind. I have seen SBE
handouts about granting college credit for SBE certification or maybe
the other way around, so it's on the collective SBE mind at some
level.

It seems to me that most of the engineers I have worked with over the
years did *not* have a Bachelor's. I worked with some who came up
through the military and some who came up through the
vocational/technical school systems and a small handful with Associate
degrees, but off the top of my head I can't remember a single person
with a BSEE or even a BS in Telecommunications Engineering.
Personally, I got into it via Amateur Radio, but I was also a graduate
of the vocational/technical electronics program and I'd been in the
Air Force, too, as an Aircraft Electrician. College came later as the
opportunity arose. I never remember seeing a broadcast position
announcement/job opening that required a Bachelor's, the emphasis was
on experience as I recall.

On a national level, though, I notice at least one of you has a PE,
which requires a familiarity with enough college-level material that
while you may not have to have a Bachelor's to pass the PE exam, it
would be difficult. My perception is that we're all over the map in
terms of training and I wonder how that affects us as we deal with
management, or if it has hurt us in some way.

Is it more common to have a Bachelor's or even a Master's in
Engineering in other markets/regions than it is in my market?
Expressed as a percentage, how many SBE members have a BS or MS in
*any* discipline? Are there any stories out there about how it would
have helped to have had a Bachelor's?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Atlanta

This message was scanned by the GPB MailScanner and is believed to be clean.
http://192.168.10.89/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=E253D28008.D2358

--
This message was scanned by the GPB MailScanner and is believed to be clean.