[SBE] defining broadcast engineering education

chscherer at everestkc.net chscherer at everestkc.net
Mon Mar 17 21:28:21 EDT 2008

I have a bachelor of music degree in music engineering technology. This included a minor in electrical engineering. The director of the Music Engineering Technology program at the University of Miami when I attended (and until last year) was Ken Pohlmann. (Check your bookshelves.)

I got into radio because of my interest in audio, and the degree helped me on the studio and audio side. I walked into my first paying radio job with an understanding of signal flow, tape recorders, consoles, processing, microphones and other audio electronics. I also knew something about music.

All my RF experience was gained post college on the job.

Today we talk about IT people coming in to broadcast facilites not knowing anything about broadcast. 20 years ago I was like that, except I was an audio guy who learned enough RF to do the job.

Could I have gained the knowledge on my own? Yes, but I'm glad I have the degree. (And now I'm actually playing music again.) I not only learned the information, but I learned how to learn and how to teach myself to understand a new technology. Today, that program includes a good deal of DSP programming and IT.

Chriss