[SBE] defining broadcast engineering education

Paul Christensen pchristensen at ieee.org
Tue Mar 18 16:26:08 EDT 2008

>From the handful of replies, I take it that it makes no difference for

> the most part. In other words, unless I plan to go to work for a

> manufacturer or directly for one of the networks, I did it for

> nothing.

You'll have that mind-set, as I did, until you begin looking at allied
industries where a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution is the
minimum level of academic preparation required in an engineering occupation.
If you look outside the scope of broadcast engineering, you'll be damn-glad
you formalized your technical education. Now pursue a business degree.

As Cowboy noted earlier, he often observed little value from those who held
many letters after their names. However, the real value of a worker to an
organization is where academics and experience can be melded together to
meet long-term objectives. Those individuals generally posses better
critical-thinking skills than individuals who may have only attained an
education or experience alone.

Paul (BSEET, BSCS, MBA, JD)

Paul Christensen, CPBE, CBNT, 8-VSB, AMD
LAW OFFICE of P. B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills, Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802 Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org