[SBE] defining broadcast engineering education

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Tue Mar 18 16:46:01 EDT 2008

In a message dated 3/18/2008 3:08:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
sbe at hidden-valley.com writes:

> I raised the subject for a personal reason: I went back to school for

> my Bachelor's, and I wondered how others had leveraged a BS to best

> advantage in this field.

I went back for a BS in business management. In today's HR driven
environment, not having a degree means your resume is not read. When I got in
broadcasting in the 60's, all managers wanted was your FCC license and some idea you knew
your way around equipment. I have my DeVry certificate from 1966 which was
plenty good then and part of it was FCC 1st phone prep (with radar endorsement).
I think the SBE has done a good job of replacing that with the certification
schedule. But when you walk in with 40 years experience you likely got to
walk in for the interview because you have a degree in something. Being a HSG or
GED means nothing in the work world because the quality of HD grads is so
low, many are functionally illiterate but got their "certificate of attendance"
for being there 6 years.

Henry