[SBE] Can Your Manager Tell You What You Do For A living?

Ted Randall engineering at accessnashville.com
Sat Mar 22 06:34:54 EDT 2008

Sadly the job description is dead on, as far as what many companies are
expecting.
If you were to add "the entire IT network" and "part time assistant has not
been budgeted" to the description you would have the exact job description
expected by a local Nashville radio group (un-named).
Not all groups are that unreasonable but some most certainly are.
Problem is most all groups are moving in this direction.
Question is how do we turn this around?
This is a question I was asking several years ago.
I believe this is the reason that more young folks are not attracted to this
profession.
Medical doctors and surgeons are not on call 24/7 with no break at all.
Many engineers work through a cycle of several years with no vacation.
Burnout is getting higher and groups burn people out, so they just leave.
Some tough it out, only to be fired, as no one can physically cope with this
kind of thing.
Burnout is getting to be epidemic as well and I know many engineers that
have developed severe health problems, attempting to cope with these
expectations, trying to keep their jobs.
Attitudes go down in the dumps and folks can get pretty depressed.

This is NOT a case of bad engineers and there is no simple solution such as
our image as engineers(dress for success).
It's a real and tangible problem.
Not for all groups and stations thank God but this trend is on the grow.
Joke or not it is reality.
What can all of the creative minds in this forum conceive that could make a
difference and help turn this misconception of management around?
Thinking like engineers, how can we let management and owners know this kind
of thinking, ultimately results into the loss of $$ "to their bottom line".
They are saving nothing and risking everything.

Sorry for the long post!
I promise not to post anything else for at least a week:)

Ted Randall
Past Chapter Chair
Chapter 103 Nashville, TN
tedrandall at accessnashville.com