[SBE] Station Transmitter Tours

Barry Thomas, CPBE CBNT barryt at sbe.org
Sat Mar 22 14:40:24 EDT 2008

Chriss will vividly remember this.

While I was on a vacation during my time in Cleveland and Chriss was my emergency backup (he was at another station) a tornado struck the east of town and took power out for a number of days. Chriss handled getting a rental generator (never could find the budget for one of our own) and putting the station back on the air. After that all of the station staff took shifts checking and refueling the generator until I managed a 900-mile non-stop return trip on motorcycle.

The GM was relatively new and not made time to accept my transmitter site invitation. As a result of this event he and everyone else at the station became very familiar with the site and why it was important. The only lasting downside to the whole event was the expression on the GM's face when I put in vacation requests. He felt it was an omen.