[SBE] Copper Thefts

Bill Harris billharris at ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 18 23:00:22 EDT 2008

Boy, do I feel your pain. Here in Albuquerque, there were at least
8 AM transmitter sites hit, some, like our three, multiple times.
Of the 8 towers that make up our 3 sites, we have just recently
finished putting copper back in the ground on the 7th tower and
then....we covered the ground screen and the intersection points
with the strap that interconnects with the radials with 4 inches of
asphalt. Another station used concrete, still another, great big
river rock. Our theory is to make it unattractive and hope they
go away.

Folks, you can't stop them, you can only slow them down.
They come at you in multiple vehicles, day and night, they have
the tools to go through your fences, over your fences, or they
tie a chain to their trucks and just pull them down. They take your
ground screen, any exposed heliax, they even cut out the few feet of
copper tubing between the tuning shack and the tower!

Lesson learned: hire a security company to run them off until you
can 'harden' the site. Put in lights, cameras, trip wires, noise-
makers, whatever you choose. But you may discover that you are
on your own. Law enforcement may not be much help, they have
other priorities.

Bill Harris