[SBE] going green - tower lights

R. V. Zeigler rzeigler at krvn.com
Sun May 4 22:28:47 EDT 2008

Paul,
I am glad that you have had good luck with them. We have had nothing but
problems from Day 1 (while the tower was being erected) with the things.
Dialight brand beacons were deplorable for us and were changed to Orga's
by the lighting system supplier. The Orga's worked much better but still
had some problems when temperatures dropped sharply. We continue on the
problem, but from what I can tell, one major tower lighting supplier no
longer supplies Dialight with their packages.
Our problems were so horrendous, I removed LED's from the specs of
another tower we are building and reluctantly reverted to incandescent
for the build. I have heard of others having like problems with LED's
from various tower contractors.
I do have to say that the clearance lights are LED's (and Dialight as
far as I know) on this problem stick and we have never had any problems
with those. We do have 3 separate-antenna Class C FM's on this stick,
and when I called Dialight about the problem beacons, they said to me, "
You are not supposed to use those around RF. Three, hundred kilowatt
stations on one tower? I am surprised they work at all!" (I will swear
to this in court if necessary) When I heard that, my confidence in
Dialight pretty much evaporated. I do wish that LED's were a bit more
reliable, but I think the control units in the beacons need a bit more
engineering.
Rod

--
R. V. Zeigler, Dir. of Eng.