[SBE] Set-top Box Success Stories

Jim Perry jim at jperry.us
Mon May 5 14:26:10 EDT 2008

Greetings,

Both of my sons (in the Des Moines and Boston markets) are die-hard
over-the-air guys (read: non-cable). I brought them up properly, as you can
see. On my suggestion, they applied for their coupons, got them, and
recently went out and purchased set-top boxes (STBs).

When I would visit them in the past and watch their analog sets (one used
rabbit ears, the other an all-channel antenna in attic), their reception was
poor to moderate, all with some sort of ghosting and/or herringbone. With no
change except adding the STB, both now enjoy all market stations, including
some they didn't even know about previously. They especially enjoy the PSIP
feature.

So, as a result of this extremely scientific study <grin>, I conclude that
DTV works quite well, especially with the new breed of STBs/chipsets.

-- Jim Perry, CPBE, CBNT
-- American Tower Corp., Broadcast Group